Can a relinquishment deed be sent from abroad?

My sister is an OCI (Abroad Citizen of India). Our father handed away just lately. He was a resident of India. My sister needs to relinquish her rights to our father’s property in my favor. The property is situated in India. Will my sister want to go to India for making the relinquishment deed, or can she do it from overseas?

– S. Sinha

Since your sister is desirous of relinquishing her proper and curiosity in your father’s property in your favour, a relinquishment deed (also called a launch deed) must be executed in your favour. This relinquishment deed would require enough stamping and registration. While the best state of affairs could be that your sister visits India and bodily indicators the relinquishment deed and completes the procedures on the native registrar’s workplaces, another could be thought-about. An influence of lawyer could be executed from the native embassy abroad for appointing a consultant who can perform the execution of such relinquishment deed in your favour e.g. one other member of the family visiting India, and whom you belief to finish the method in your behalf. Please notice that such relinquishment deed would require to be stamped and registered in India to effectuate a switch of your sister’s share in your favour.

It’s advisable that your sister liaises with the native embassy to establish the method of executing such energy of lawyer.

Rishabh Shroff is companion, Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas. 

(Ship queries and views at mintmoney@livemint.com)


Subscribe to Mint Newsletters

* Enter a legitimate e-mail

* Thanks for subscribing to our publication.

By no means miss a narrative! Keep related and knowledgeable with Mint.
our App Now!!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *